Tuesday, April 18, 2017

Our Final Mountain Vacation

I am so happy to have spent the past week at Cliffside Cabin in Front Royal, VA.  It’s truly our home away from home…our respite from the stresses of life in the city.  I can’t express how much I will miss our annual vacation up there.  We have been coming since 2007 when I was pregnant with Holden.  Time flies!

DSCF4812

We usually venture out a couple of times and find new historic sites and museums or caverns to visit, but not this time.  We really just wanted to enjoy the view of the Shenandoah River and the mountains from our front porch.  I slept with our bedroom window open at night just so I could listen to the sound of the rapids and wake up to the sound of birds singing in the trees.

DSCF4813

We stayed up so late most nights…too late to get up early and watch the sun rise like I normally do, so I made sure to go to bed a bit earlier on Friday night so I could at least get up and do it on Saturday morning…our final leisurely day at the cabin.  I rushed out in my pj’s with a lap blanket wrapped around me and a cup of tea in hand.  My favorite way to spend vacation!

DSCF4816

Mostly, I just sat on the porch and read a book or napped on the double rocker on the porch.  I even lay on the picnic table and just felt the sun on my face.  It was unseasonably warm on this trip, so we never got to make a fire in the indoor fireplace, but we did make one in the outdoor brick grill one night, and we all sat around the picnic table beside it and listened to music and looked at the stars.  The weather was so beautiful!

DSCF4819

I just can’t put into words how much we will miss it!  Farewell to my beloved Front Royal!  I hope we meet again someday…

DSCF4824

No comments:

Post a Comment